The desire to enhance muscle mass is widespread in our society, regardless of your gender or age. Forging a body and a pleasant image for personal taste is closely related to good eating habits and exercise, because if you do not cover either of these two axes it will be very difficult to achieve the desired results.
In addition to sports and a proper diet, food supplements help meet all the nutritional needs that the body needs on a daily basis. In this sense, consuming protein is essential to ensure that the muscles develop correctly. If you want to know how to take protein to increase muscle mass, what are the benefits it brings to the body and more details about this essential nutrient for humans, from H&M we will discover it.
Protein to increase muscle mass: properties
Protein has numerous properties that provide great benefits to the body . Let’s see what they are:
- Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, the protein favors the creation of antibodies and, consequently, strengthens the immune system.
- Due to its antioxidant properties, it also favors the balance of blood sugar levels.
- In addition, protein helps to better digest food and the nutrients they contain.
- Proteins are also beneficial for your cells, since they are essential for them to correctly fulfill their functions.
- The most important property of protein, and the main reason why many consume it, is that it repairs muscles and helps to better preserve muscle mass, as well as preventing regain weight lost during the weight loss process.
It is important that you consider the idea of taking protein to increase muscles , but also for all the benefits it contains for health in general. The best way to get energy and to recover after great efforts is by introducing this nutrient in your meals, so let’s see more information on how to take protein.
How to take protein to increase muscle mass – tips
As it is an essential nutrient in the functioning of the body and cells, the inclusion of protein in your diet is mandatory, so at Handsome & Men we give you the following tips to take it and obtain all its benefits:
- The adequate amount of protein you need per day is 0.8 grams per kilo.
- If the goal is to build muscle, the amount you should eat is greatly increased; Between 1.3 and 1.5 grams of protein per kilo is the ideal ratio for both men and women.
- You need a caloric excess that is between 300 and 500 calories a day for the body to generate new muscles; Along with the necessary protein intake, the muscle cells will enter a growth phase.
- Protein is found in many foods, but if you can’t reach the amount you need each day to increase your muscle mass, turn to specifically protein products like muesli, protein flakes, energy bars, and protein shakes.
- Protein powder will also help you reach the daily ratio you need of this nutrient.
When to take protein to increase muscle mass
The most suitable times to take protein in order to increase muscles are the following:
- Proteins in the morning: this is the perfect time to regain the reduced glycogen levels in the evening to carry out the corresponding metabolic processes. In general, eating protein in the morning will help you rebuild your muscles properly.
- Proteins before training: to stimulate protein synthesis, which increases when proteins are consumed before exercising, and accelerate muscle growth, it is important to consume them in the moments before training.
- Proteins after training: the time when the muscles need more protein is after training, as this way they can recover quickly and without difficulties.
- Protein before bed: To prevent muscle breakdown that occurs while you sleep, have protein with dinner or just before bed.
How much protein to have in a shake
Protein shakes are one of the easiest ways to ingest this nutrient. The amount to include in them will vary depending on the diet and the number of shakes you take per day.
However, to balance your protein intake, add about 25 grams to your shakes . With the rest of the diet you must reach the necessary amount daily; otherwise, you will have to modify the proportion of protein to add to each shake.
Homemade protein shakes to increase muscle mass
By discovering how to take protein to increase muscle mass, you will have understood the importance of shakes. At H&M we provide you with two very simple and natural homemade recipes so that you can prepare them at home.
Banana and oatmeal smoothie
You will only need a banana, oat flakes (4 tablespoons), honey (a tablespoon), skim milk (250 ml) and cinnamon powder (a small tablespoon).
- Peel the banana, cut it and put it in the blender.
- Add the oatmeal.
- Include honey in the mix.
- Pour in all the skim milk.
- Close the lid and you can mix everything for two minutes.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass … ready to drink!
Walnuts contain fatty acids and proteins that help build muscle quickly. To make this shake you will need 355 ml of lactose-free milk, half a glass of water, low-fat yogurt, 3 cooked egg whites, 50 grams of walnuts and a banana.
- Cut the banana into pieces and put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Blend the foods together until smooth in a single liquid.
- Pour the liquid into a container for easy drinking.
- You can add ice to turn the smoothie into a refreshing drink.