Although sometimes we do not realize it, the smoke gives off a strong smell that easily permeates the environment. In addition to being fixed on fabrics such as clothes or furniture in the house, the smell of tobacco smoke, chimney or deep fryer can also permeate the hair. This is especially the case if you’ve been smoking or have been in a room where multiple people have been smoking.
Logically, a deep hair wash is the best way to get rid of that bad smell, but sometimes you need to remove it urgently while away from home. If you hate that your hair smells of tobacco or you notice, when you bring a lock to your nose, that your hair is totally ‘smoked’, take note because in this Handsome & Men article we tell you how to remove the smell of smoke from your hair in any situation.
Have you been partying and your hair has retained the smell of smoke that you have been exposed to all night? In these cases, the smell of smoke is fixed to each strand and a traditional wash is not always enough to eliminate it. Thanks to its powerful scent and antiseptic properties, vinegar is perfect for neutralizing odors both at home and on hair or clothing. To make sure you remove the cigarette smell from your hair with vinegar , follow these steps:
- Wash your hair as you normally do.
- For the final rinse, have a mixture prepared with two measures of water and one of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the mixture and rinse again with plenty of water.
- Dry normally without using a dryer. The vinegar smell will disappear in no time, taking with it the smoky smell of your hair.
Essential oils are powerful flavorings that neutralize odors when we use them as air fresheners in the home. Likewise, we can also use essential oils on the hair to quickly eliminate the smell of smoke. If you know that you are going to stay for a long time in a room where there will be a lot of smoke and you want to know how to remove the smell of tobacco from your hair without washing it, put the following preparation in your bag:
- In a small bottle, dilute 5 tablespoons of a carrier oil, such as olive or almond, and 3 drops of an essential oil with your favorite scent, for example, roses or lavender.
- To make the smell of smoke disappear, spread a small amount on your fingertips and spread it over your hair, combing each lock with your own fingers. In this simple way … off the smell of smoke!
A tip: to neutralize the smell of tobacco smoke, nothing better than rosemary essential oil.
Follow this home remedy if you have clean hair and are not very oily. If this is not your case, it is better that you help yourself with any other of the tricks to remove the smell of smoke from the hair that we indicate in this article.
If you want a lighter and less oily remedy, you can take advantage of the delicious scents of citrus fruits to eliminate the smell of smoke. In addition to having a very good smell, fruits such as lemon have cleaning properties that help eliminate stains and refresh any environment. To take advantage of citrus fruits and remove the smell of burning from your hair, follow these two simple steps:
- Put the zest of the skin of an orange or a lemon in a little water and let it marinate for at least three hours.
- Transfer the mixture to a small spray bottle and, when you notice that your hair smells like smoke, apply this spray all over the hair. Your hair will regain its freshness and good smell.
Without a doubt, dry shampoo is one of the most effective remedies when it comes to neutralizing the smell of bonfire from the hair, as it also frees it from the dirt of the day without the need to wet it. The most recommended, due to their rapid action, are those that come in spray format. You must apply them in the following way:
- Press the vaporizer at a distance of about 15 centimeters from your hair, applying the dry shampoo strand by strand (do not apply it all at once as if it were a hairspray).
- Wait a few minutes and brush thoroughly to remove any remaining product.
- When you remove it, the smell of smoke from your hair will also go with it.
If you need it, you can also prepare your own homemade shampoo by following the steps that we give you in the link.
Talc and other absorbent powders
Imagine that you are ready to leave the house, but suddenly you detect that your hair smells of smoke. What can you do if you have an important appointment, you have to leave and you don’t have enough time to wash it? In your bathroom or in your pantry you can find more than one solution to get out of trouble.
The traditional talcum powder, white clay or even bicarbonate are all substances that, due to their texture, have great absorption power and are perfect as an express remedy to eliminate the smell of smoke from the hair.
- Sprinkle a small amount of talcum powder or another of the indicated elements on the hair, distributing it with your fingers while separating some strands so that the powder penetrates the inner layers (do not forget the bangs if you wear it).
- Leave on for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Remove first by separating and moving the hair with your fingers and then with a vigorous brushing.
- To finish, use the dryer, but use it cold at maximum power. A good blast of cool air will help air your hair and also remove any remaining dust.
Why didn’t you expect that talcum powder could help you remove the smell of smoke from your hair?
Do not you have any of the products that we have indicated? Try a small amount of cornstarch, it works too!
We know that this hygiene product is not designed for this purpose, but it will help you get out of a hurry and easily get rid of the smell of smoke in your hair.
Simply, take a scented washcloth that you use to clean your hands, and wipe it all over the surface of your hair. Then, comb with your fingers to separate the hair fibers and air them out. The unpleasant aroma will disappear.
Mint is one of the most powerful aromatic herbs and its aroma is perfect for hiding bad smells. For this reason, it is ideal to refresh the hair and free it from the smell of smoke and the smell of fried, you can make a very light preparation based on mint leaves, simply by boiling a few of them in water.
- Calculate about 50 grams of mint leaves for every 250 ml or a glass of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest until it cools completely.
- Put it in a spray bottle and use it every time you want to get rid of the smell of smoke from your hair.