Towels are garments that, due to the fabric with which they are made, usually take up a lot of space. Not knowing how to fold towels correctly can make the task of storing or hanging them very difficult, since they are most likely to fall apart and the spaces are even more reduced.
Have you had trouble organizing your closet and storing your towels well? Do you want to add more style and grace to your bathroom and the rest of your spaces? In this case, don’t miss the following Handsome & Men article, as we show you how to fold towels and explain how the different folding techniques can decorate your rooms. Get ready!
How to fold bath towels
In the bathroom we find from the smallest towels to dry the hands to the largest to dry the body and hair. Generally, in the bathrooms there are shelves, cabinets or square or medium elongated spaces where you can organize your towels and articles.
There are several ways to fold bath towels, but at H&M we will talk about two methods in particular that will make your bathroom look more attractive and colorful: the technique of ordering by colors and sizes and the technique for folding towels in roll shape.
How to fold towels by size and colors
If you don’t have enough space on the shelves, you can always buy baskets or wood so that your towels are in a collected and secluded place.
- Fold the towels into a square shape, joining the ends of the towel and repeating the gesture until it cannot be made smaller.
- Lay the towels one on top of the other on the shelf or in the basket and divide them by color. Something that is always elegant is to make two different piles: one with the softest colors and the other with darker colors.
- You can also place the darker colors on the base and add the rest of the towels on top, always from darker to lighter.
- In case you have towels of different sizes, you can always place the largest size underneath and add the others from larger to smaller.
Another alternative that will make your bathroom look spotless? Prepare a couple of hand towels on a hanger; a larger one of a dark color and, below, a smaller one of a similar color but in much softer tones. If your bathroom is small and you can’t hang two towels in different places, you can always put one on top of the other. We show you some examples!
How to fold towels into a roll
If your bathroom is very small and you want to make the most of the spaces, your best option is to fold towels into a roll. These are the steps you should follow:
- You should first fold the towel in half, on the longest side.
- Take the towel by one end and begin to fold it inward.
- Once you have your towels in rolls, start placing them either one on top of the other forming a pyramid (with the darkest colors at the base) or arranged in a basket or on a shelf by colors and / or sizes.
How to fold decorative towels
Decorative towels are often used a lot in hotels, as they offer that feeling of beauty, comfort and elegance so desired. However, with some easy tricks you can bring these methods to your home and fill your bathrooms or rooms with decorative towels.
How to fold pillow-type towels
This style is perfect for folding towels that will go in rooms, whether they are individual, children’s or double. Do you want to learn how to fold towels elegantly like in hotels? Follow this step by step:
- Stretch the towel on a bed to start. You’ll need to fold it in three parts, so start by folding the top side, grabbing the top ends of the towel, and bringing them roughly to the center.
- Then take the bottom ends and bring them all the way up, above the top ends that are now in the center.
- Take the towel from the left side to shorten it and move it to the right leaving a small space. That is, move the towel to the right side but don’t let the ends come together; leave a piece of towel uncovered.
- Fold it again on the same side, that is, take the towel from the left side and bring it back to the right, leaving the same space as before. If you’ve done it correctly, there should be three levels (like three floors) to the towel; one longer and the top two shorter than the first.
- You will see that the longest floor of the towel (the bottom one) has an opening at the end. Open it as far as you can, and then try to insert the top floor of the towel all the way into that opening.
How to fold towels with the ladder method
If you don’t want to get too complicated and prefer not to make origami with towels, you can always be inspired by simpler methods, such as the ladder effect method.
- First you must locate the shelf or table where you are going to place the towels.
- Lay out a stack of 5-piece towels folded into a square. It is advisable to expose the inward folds, as this will make them look neater.
- Set aside another 4-pack of towels. Try to make the towels a different color.
- Finally, next to this last pile, place another more than 3 towels; once again, try to pick another color.
How to fold towels with decorative wicker baskets
The decorative wicker baskets are perfect both to save space and to give a more elegant and sweet touch to your spaces. From Handsome & Men we advise you to choose the place where you are going to place the basket well so that it is easily seen; If you are going to rent a room or want your guests to find the bed in perfect condition and the towels folded as if it were a hotel, do not hesitate to place the basket in the middle of the bed.
- Once you have chosen the site, fold the towels into a roll as we have explained previously.
- Place rolls of the same color vertically in a first row.
- Choose another color and place the rolls upright in a second row.
- Repeat the process one more time, now with another color.
- If you don’t have as many different colored towels, our advice is to mix soft colors that go well with each other.
How to fold towels according to Marie Kondo
Marie Kondo is a successful Japanese businesswoman who at the age of 30 wrote the Best Seller “The Magic of Order”, where she talked about the relationship between order and psychology and encouraged people to become aware of the importance of being organized.
- The classic Marie Kondo method: As you can imagine, the classic Marie Kondo method consists of folding towels by joining ends to form a square or a rectangle. This method is recommended for people with enough space to hang them extended, highlighting shapes and colors as we have explained previously.
- Rolling method for tight spaces: although we have already mentioned it, this method consists of rolling the towels into rolls as small as possible. Marie Kondo is committed to putting them in vinyl, wicker or plastic baskets to separate them from the rest of the elements and thus offer a feeling of more space.
- Envelope method : This type of folding is perfect for even smaller spaces, as it allows towels to be stored in baskets or upright on shelves so that they take up very little space. In addition, you will be happy to know that if you have followed our advice step by step, you will already know how to fold towels with this method, since it is the same as folding pillow type towels. Of course, if you want to follow Marie Kondo’s method, it should be noted that she bets on vertical folding, so place your towels in this position to save space.