We know that cutting a child’s hair is not an easy task, as they are often whirlwinds with little patience that is difficult to control. However, there are times when we cannot go to the hairdresser or simply do not want to spend money on something that we can do comfortably from our home.
So that you do not fail in the attempt and learn how to cut a child’s hair at home, from Handsome & Men we offer you a few tips and a step-by-step video that will guide you and solve all your doubts. Let’s go there!
Tips and material for cutting a child’s hair at home
Before starting with the step by step, from Handsome & Men we want to offer you a list of the material you will need to carry out the haircut. Get the following:
- Hair scissors: it is important that the scissors you are going to use are for hair since they are the only ones that will allow you to carry out the task in complete comfort. If you want to cut your hair with a machine , you can do without scissors.
- A thin comb: with the comb you will have to untangle the little one’s hair and brush their hair as it is cut, so keep it handy at all times.
- A spray with water: to better manage the child’s hair, it will be better if their hair is wet, so if you prefer to shower them after the cut to remove the hair that remains on their nape and forehead, it is best to wet their hair with a sprayer filled with water while cutting.
- A towel: put a towel around his neck so that the hair you are cutting does not get inside the shirt.
In addition, if the boy or girl in question is very moved or small, it may be difficult to keep him still during the cut, so from a HOWTO we advise you to put the drawings or give him the mobile so that he is distracted and does not move excessively.
How to cut a child’s hair with scissors – step by step
Once you have the materials ready and the child is sitting comfortably, you can start making the cut. The best option if you are wondering how to cut a boy’s long hair is to use scissors, so follow these steps:
- Wet your child’s hair with the spray or get him to shower before starting.
- Detangle your hair with the comb before you begin. For guidance, start by circling the child’s head; Make a part from the middle of the brow approximately towards the back, that is, to the side of the child’s head. The line has to go as far as the crown falls. Comb the rest of the hair upwards.
- Do the same on the other side, so that the top of the child’s head is combed up.
- You’ll need to contour first, so flatten the hair with the comb and carefully cut above the ear. Do the same on the other side.
- To cut the nape, pull all the hair straight down and cut the excess hair.
- Grab a section of the front of your hair between your fingers to act as a guide. Put the strand very straight, in the center, and cut. Keep doing the same, taking strands from the front and bringing them back to cut the length you want.
- As you cut back strands, you can lower them a little more between your fingers so as not to cut so many inches. The trick is to take the strands in a row, bring them to the center and cut the length you prefer. When you get to the middle, do the same on the other side.
- When you’re done, lower another layer of the hair that you previously left the child on top. Calculate about two fingers thick and lower the layer before combing it down. Remember that you have to lower hair from both the center and the sides of the child’s head.
- You will have to start at the crown, so take a layer of the hair that you just lowered and also take some already cut hair to guide you. Lower the strand back between your fingers and cut straight, helping you guide the previously cut hair.
- Once you have finished with these strands, you will have to move to the top. To make the process easier, make the part in the middle of the child’s head and start picking strands from there. Once again, we advise you to guide yourself with a strand of the swirl already cut.
- Once you have the strand that you are going to cut, stretch it up with your fingers and start cutting the excess, always guiding yourself with the strands already cut so as not to overdo it. Always cut back.
- If the front part (the one with the bangs) is too long for your taste, layer it horizontally, take it between your fingers, stretch it up again, and cut the excess peak. As you cut the lengths ahead, always pull your fingers back to avoid cutting too much bangs.
If your son or daughter has bangs, remember that wet hair always looks longer. So be careful when cutting your bangs; Stand in front of your fingers to catch the strands you want to cut and get rid of the extra centimeters. Blow dry the little one’s hair and he is ready!
How to cut a child’s hair with a machine
If you do not have hair scissors on hand or you prefer to learn how to cut a child’s hair at home with a machine, you will have to follow other steps. We explain how to cut a child’s hair so that it is modern with the heads number 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8.
- You should start with the child’s hair dry . Detangle the hair well with a comb and analyze the child’s head; if the crown indicates the right, the child will have to comb to the right. If, on the other hand, it indicates the left side, you will have to comb to the left. If you have two eddies, choose the most marked.
- Comb in favor of hair growth and with head number 3, start cutting upwards. Always from bottom to top. Cut following an imaginary line that goes around the child’s head from side to side, as we have done with the scissors. When you reach the limit of that line, put the machine aside.
- Take head 4 to join the sides with the top; cut a little higher, also from bottom to top, so that the gradient is noticeable. Do not cut the bangs , leave it combed forward.
- With head number 6 you will have to cut even higher; do it around the head, both on the sides and in the back area. Always respect the part of the crown, that is, do not go higher than there.
- With head number 2, go over the contours, so the hairstyle will look more elegant and the child will have the best defined hairstyle. If you want, you can do without a headpiece to further define the sideburns and the nape (remember not to cut the hairline too high on the nape).
- To cut the top, the ideal is to do it with scissors. Take the shorter strands from below the crown as a guide and, as we have explained before, take strands and cut the excess hair. However, we offer you another option if you don’t have scissors on hand.
- Take the comb with your left hand and the machine with your right (the other way around if you’re left-handed). Comb the bangs well forward and slide the comb forward as well, lifting a few strands of hair at a time. Leave the cap straight forward and cut the excess hair with the machine. Do the same for the entire fringe area.
If what you want is to learn how to cut a child’s hair to make it long, it is best to put the machine aside and go for scissors, as these will allow you to better control the centimeters you cut.