Dry or chapped lips are a very common problem that we all have at some time. And is that the lack of lip hydration can be caused by many different factors, from a prolonged stay in the sun to exposure to the cold, lack of vitamins or the consumption of tobacco and alcohol.
Luckily, there are many natural remedies to treat chapped and chapped lips that can become your best allies. Ready to discover some of the best natural ingredient-based remedies for beautiful, healthy lips? Don’t miss the following Handsome & Men article and take note, these are the best home remedies for dry lips you’ll find!
Why are lips dry
There are several factors that cause dry lips, such as chapped lips and chapped lips. While it is true that most of the time dry lips are due to climatic factors, there are other causes that are worth mentioning:
- Lack of vitamins: a diet low in vitamins and nutrients can cause chapped lips.
- Saliva: did you know that saliva itself can cause dry lips? This is because saliva contains maltase and amylase, compounds that cause dry skin.
- Climatic factors: as we have already advanced, chapped lips are usually common among people who spend long periods in the sun (since it dehydrates the skin of the lips) or in very cold areas, since the wind cracks the lips.
- Medicines: there are drugs (especially to treat acne problems) that make the skin easily dehydrated, especially affecting the lips, whose skin is more sensitive.
- Breathing through the mouth: People who have problems breathing through the nose are forced to breathe through the mouth, something that causes the lips to crack due to the passage of air.
- Pollution: prolonged exposure to highly polluted spaces favors the appearance of cracks on the lips, as the skin becomes dirty and damaged.
- Consumption of tobacco and alcohol: the direct contact of cigarettes or other drugs with the lips causes long-term problems of dryness and dehydration that are difficult to combat.
- Use of certain products: an allergic reaction to inappropriate products that come into contact with your lips can lead to chapped lip problems. This also happens with some toothpastes, since if your skin is very sensitive, the contact of said product with your lips may be somewhat aggressive.
You already know why your lips dry out, however, you should know that regardless of the reasons why you suffer from this problem, the following remedies for chapped lips will help you. Let’s go there!
Aloe vera balm
Wondering how to hydrate your lips immediately? Aloe vera is one of the best solutions, without a doubt. This plant is a natural moisturizer full of healing, hydrating, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, so it will act on your lips, softening them and calming irritation. If you don’t know how to cure chapped lips with aloe vera, follow these steps:
- Cut an aloe vera leaf, making a cut lengthwise.
- Extract the pulp of the plant with the help of a spoon.
- Apply the juice from the inside of the plant to your lips and spread it completely.
- Let the remedy work until your lips have absorbed most of the aloe vera.
Your lips will look softer in a matter of seconds. And if you want to discover other beauty tips with aloe vera, don’t miss this other Handsome & Men article!
It is well known that cucumber is one of the best home remedies to combat dark circles and eye puffiness, but … did you know that this remedy is also great for curing chapped lips ? The antioxidant properties of cucumber, as well as its high content of vitamin C, make it an ideal ingredient to soothe pain, soften and hydrate the skin.
If you are in a hurry, you can always cut a few thin slices of cucumber and put them directly on your lips for about 10-15 minutes. However, if you have time, from Handsome & Men we recommend making a cucumber-based mask so that your lips look instantly softer and brighter.
- Cut 5 or 6 slices of cucumber and put them in a bowl.
- Add half a teaspoon of olive oil and half a teaspoon of coconut oil to the bowl.
- Beat the 3 ingredients together well.
- Apply the result on your lips and, after a few minutes, rinse with plenty of water.
Vaseline for lips
If you do not know how to remove dryness from your lips quickly, you should always have the famous Vaseline on hand. This product is a protector against external climatic agents such as the sun, cold or wind, so it acts as a great ally against lip dryness, helping to regain moisture.
In this Handsome & Men article we explain how to make lip balm with Vaseline, as it is always preferable to use remedies as natural as possible. Once you have your Vaseline ready, we recommend using it a minimum of 2-3 times a day, depending on how chapped your lips are.
Coconut oil contains moisturizing and antioxidant properties that are ideal for softening lips and soothing burning irritation. If you want the cuts to disappear from your lips immediately and that they do not suffer from tightness and swelling, we recommend making your own cream for dry and chapped lips .
- Pour 3 tablespoons of solid coconut oil into a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 4 drops of your preferred essential oil to soften the smell.
- Put the story in the microwave for about a minute until the ingredients are melted.
- Mix well, always carefully so as not to burn yourself. If you wish, you can add half a tablespoon of honey to your mixture, as this remedy is also very beneficial for repairing damaged and dehydrated skin.
- When it has cooled down completely, you can use your cream for dry and chapped lips.
This recipe is also perfect if you want to make a lipstick for dry lips. When you have all the ingredients mixed, store the resulting pasta in small plastic containers and put them in the refrigerator. When the paste cools, you will have your exfoliating lipstick ready.
Honey to soften the lips
If you don’t have time to make a lip scrub and want a quick and effective remedy that instantly relieves pain and burning, honey may be your best option. This ingredient has ideal antibacterial, moisturizing and antiseptic properties, so if you are wondering how to remove dryness from your lips, take note:
- Spread a little honey on your lips. A couple of drops will be enough.
- Let the honey act for approximately 15 minutes.
- Then rinse carefully with water and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Use this remedy every day for best results.
Sugar lip scrub
Sugar is a powerful natural exfoliator that removes dead cells and helps the skin on the lips regain its shape and smoothness. We explain how to exfoliate your lips with a natural treatment:
- Pour a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of honey into a bowl.
- Mix both ingredients well to form a smooth paste.
- With a finger, apply the resulting paste on the lips and make gentle circular movements.
- After a minute, remove the mixture with plenty of warm water and apply some moisturizing lip balm.
The exfoliation for lips is essential when it comes to softening this area of the body, since we must remove the dead skin from the lips so that they can absorb the hydration of the balm well and soften the cracks instantly.
Coffee to exfoliate the lips
Another of the most popular lip scrubs is coffee, so if you want to know how to hydrate your lips with ingredients that everyone has at home, follow these steps:
- Mix half a tablespoon of coffee and a small teaspoon of olive oil.
- While coffee acts as an ideal lip scrub, olive oil has regenerative and soothing properties perfect to instantly soften your lips.
- Once the ingredients are well mixed, apply the paste to your lips in circular motions.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse with plenty of warm water.
Don’t forget to apply a lip moisturizer after exfoliating.
You already know how to make your exfoliating lipstick and how to remove dry lips with various homemade ingredients, however, it is worth mentioning one of the most beneficial remedies that exist for the lips: shea butter.
Shea butter is a type of butter rich in vitamin A, D and E capable of healing chapped lips and acting as a natural moisturizer instantly. In order for you to learn how to make lip balm with shea butter, in this other Handsome & Men article we provide you with all the necessary information.
St. John’s wort oil
This oil has fabulous repairing properties to treat lips that are severely damaged by dryness. In addition, this product contains hypericin, a substance that stimulates skin cell regeneration and will help you to look softer lips in less time.
From Handsome & Men we advise you to apply St. John’s wort oil directly on the affected skin and leave it to act for several minutes before removing it with water. Also, if you have very cut and sore lips, we advise you to use this oil a couple of times a day.
Almond oil contains antioxidant qualities that are ideal for skin care, as it not only helps remove dead cells but also acts as a great natural moisturizer.
- First, run a cotton ball with warm water over your lips to remove the most superficial dirt.
- Then, soak another cotton ball in the oil and spread it over the entire area. Apply it as many times as necessary to notice its effects.
- If you want to create a more powerful mixture, we recommend mixing two large tablespoons of almond oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil and half a teaspoon of honey.
Probably you wanna read: