The buttocks are muscles of the utmost importance for our movement and are made up of the gluteus maximus, middle and minor group and are the muscles responsible for the movement of the legs. For example, the gluteus medius and the minor are responsible for giving the lifting movement to the legs and having a proper posture. Would you like to have better control over your posture and a strong and toned figure?
Next, in Handsome & Men, we will give you 10 glute exercises for men that you cannot miss if you want to strengthen this part of your body to the maximum. Go for it!
1. Gluteal bridge or glute bridge
This is one of the gluteal exercises at home that allows us to start the different workouts aimed at strengthening this area of the body. It is recommended, therefore, to perform this exercise before any other and thus you will obtain better results. Then we explain the steps to exercise the glute bridge or bridge glute:
- Place an exercise mat or fitness mat to lie on the floor.
- Lie on your back with your arms at your sides, the palms of your hands against the mat, your knees bent at a 45-degree angle, so that your heels will not be glued to your buttocks. Think that the knee and ankle should be as vertically aligned as possible.
- Lift your hips off the floor without taking your hands off the mat, placing your feet on the floor very well and keeping your back completely straight. In this position you must keep the abdomen and buttocks tight, contract them with force.
- Stay in this position for two to three seconds. Keep in mind that you should exhale when you lift your glutes off the floor and inhale when you return to the starting position.
- Return to the starting or resting position and repeat the movement 10 times.
- Rest for about 20 seconds and do another three sets over 10 reps each with rest intervals between sets of 20 seconds. Be careful not to put all your weight on your neck and shoulders.
2. Glute exercises for men: squats
This exercise can be the easiest to do, since it does not require material. It is excellent for strengthening the glutes and legs. To do squats at home, the following steps should be performed:
- In a standing position, spread your legs at the hips with the balls of your feet slightly outward.
- In this position, pushing out some chest and with your back straight, bend your knees to bring your hips down and slightly back, squatting and your arms fully extended forward, parallel to the ground. You want to avoid that the knees are in front of the tips of your toes when you go down.
- Return to the starting position as you climb, keeping your back straight at all times.
- Repeat this exercise about 30 times and rest for a minute.
- Repeat the exercise again for about three more sets. The amount of squats and series will depend on your resistance, so adapt the amounts to your current situation and little by little you will expand.
3. Kettlebells swing
This glute exercise at home is very effective for developing glutes, core and burning fat all over the body. Strengthens the back muscles of the legs, tightens the glutes, abs and lower back. To do the kettlebells swing exercise effectively, we recommend doing it as follows:
- Place a kettlebell or kettlebell at a distance of about 12 inches from the balls of your feet.
- Get into position with your feet 18 inches apart and slightly outward.
- Slightly bend your knees keeping your back straight, with your head raised and your gaze straight ahead.
- Grab the kettlebell by the handle with both hands.
- Lift the weight by bringing it back through the middle of your legs while tightening your abs. Do not force yourself on your back.
- Push the kettlebell forward while standing fully and your arms fully extended.
- Allow the kettlebell to roll back under your legs due to the action of gravity, bringing your hips back and pulling your glutes out.
- Placing your glutes and abs as tense as possible, repeat steps five through eight again.
- Repeat this rocking motion about 25 times.
- Rest two minutes and repeat these steps for about four more sets.
4. Triple exercise to increase and strengthen the glutes
This exercise consists of three exercises that are performed one after the other, without rest or pause. It is composed of the following glute exercises for men who want to strengthen and work them correctly:
- Kick back.
- Leg extended to the side, to the center and to the other side.
- Short kick up.
To do this physical activity, the following steps must be performed:
Back kick exercise
- Get on your knees and rest your forearms on the floor, holding your hands. Slightly push your buttocks back so that all the effort of the exercise falls on them.
- Lift one of your legs off the ground and kick upward as far back as possible.
- Pick up your leg without placing it on the ground and kick back again in the same way as in the previous step.
- Repeat this routine 15 times.
- Move on to the next exercise without resting.
Side leg extension exercise
- Return to the position from step 1 of the first exercise.
- Now place the leg fully extended, move it to the side and for a second.
- Bring your leg to the center and stop for another second.
- Bring your leg to the other side and for another second.
- Repeat these movements over and over for 15 more reps.
- Move on to the next exercise without resting.
Short kick back and up exercise
- Return to the starting position.
- Now bend your knee and kick the short kick back and up without extending your leg. You will also do this movement 15 times.
- Finally, now switch to the other leg, keeping the kneeling position and repeat the steps from number 1 to number 9.
5. Hip thrust with bar to strengthen the glutes
This is one of the glute exercises to do in the gym that is indicated for men who want to gain strength using, for this, a bar loaded with weights. This activity allows you to move a lot of weight and the main motor of the movement are the buttocks and the abductor, participating in the extension of the hip. To do this glute exercise for the gym you must perform the following steps:
- Place a bench behind you in such a way that, when you sit on the floor, you can support your shoulder blades on the bench, that is, the bench is below your shoulders.
- Rest your back on the bench. Place the weighted bar on your pelvis and hold it with your hands so it doesn’t slip. Place your shoulder blades on the bench and extend your hips.
- The weight of your body should be supported on one side on the shoulder blades and on the other side on the soles of the feet. Now raise the hips as high as possible with pelvic retroversion, and the abdomen inwards, keeping the knees at a 90 degree angle.
- Wait two seconds in this position and then return to the starting position.
- Do this movement for a series of 10 repetitions and rest for 20 seconds. After finishing this series, rest for 1 minute.
- You must do 4 sets of 10 repetitions each with a 20-second rest between one series and another.
7. Deadlift to tone the glutes
This glute exercise in the gym is very important, as it allows you to gain volume and strength in the buttocks. For this you must use Olympic discs and sports shoes that do not have an inner tube. With this exercise you will work both the upper and lower bodies. The deadlift is an extension exercise for the knees, hips and back at the same time. Here are the steps to follow to perform the glute deadlift exercise:
- Put it on the bar that you are going to lift 25 kg weights (keep in mind that you have to adapt the weight to your physical condition, maybe you can lift more or it is better to start with less).
- The bar should be close to the shinbones and about 10 cm below the knees. If the bar is lower than this 10 cm, place supplements of the same thickness under each weight until the desired height is achieved.
- Separate the legs about 30 cm.
- Bend your knees until you can grasp the bar with both hands. Keep your torso as straight forward as possible and push your hips back as far as possible. Retract the scapulae back.
- Raise your face and look forward.
- Don’t lift the bar away from your body. You must lift it so that it goes up close to your body and in the same way when you lower it to the starting position.
- Take in air into your lungs before lifting the bar so that the rib cage fills with air.
- Proceed to raise the bar until you are completely stopped. This is done with a movement of the knees, hips and back at the same time, which must be totally synchronized. Do not try to lift the bar with only the effort with your back or with your arms.
- Stay in this position for a second and lower the weight very carefully and straight back down. Exhale all the air that you were holding in your lungs.
- Repeat this lift about 5 times and rest for about 30 seconds.
- Do four sets of this exercise.
- Deadlift twice a week maximum.
8. Barbell squat
This exercise can be done to strengthen the buttocks in the gym, it will also help you exercise other muscles such as lower and upper back, the quadriceps and help increase the muscle mass of the legs. Perform the following steps to do barbell squats:
- Stand in front of the bar that should be attached to a bar support.
- Grab it with both hands, go under the bar flexing your legs, and lift it straight up with the trapezius area up, doing a knee extension and then take a couple of steps back.
- Separate your legs at least 50 centimeters.
- Begin to descend by bending your knees very slowly, keeping in mind that your trunk and head must be completely straight with your gaze straight ahead. Pull your glutes fully back so that all muscle tension is felt in them and balance is maintained when you are descending.
- Lower yourself until your knees are at about a 45-degree angle.
- Stop for a second and begin to climb very slowly until you are fully upright.
- Repeat this procedure 15 times, place the bar on the stand in front of you and wait for about 30 seconds.
- Repeat this series of exercises three more times.
9. Unilateral deadlift to strengthen the glutes
This exercise to do in the gym is very easy to do and will allow you to tone your buttocks, legs and hips. To perform the unilateral deadlift exercise you must perform the following steps:
- Stand up holding the weight (dumbbell or kettlebell) with one hand and with the other lean on the wall or another point to maintain balance.
- Keep your back completely straight.
- Rest one leg on the ground.
- As you lean forward with the deadlift almost to the ground with your hand fully extended, lift your leg straight and extended back to compensate for it to be parallel to the ground, going up and down like a pendulum.
- Repeat for about 20 times and you will rest for 10 seconds.
- Change your supporting hand and repeat the steps from number 1 to number 5, but now lifting the other leg.
- We recommend doing 4 sets of 20 repetitions on each leg.
10. Glute exercises for men: Bulgarian squats
This is another of the buttock exercises for men that can be performed perfectly at home and serves to have firm and toned buttocks and legs, for this you only need a chair or a bench. This workout allows you to work on strength and stability simultaneously. To perform the Bulgarian squat exercise you must perform the following steps:
- Take a chair from your house, or failing that, a stool or stool, and stand with your back to the chair or bench.
- Raise one leg back, resting the ball of your foot on the chair while keeping your back straight.
- Place your hands on your hips or spread out to your sides for stability.
- Lower yourself by bending the knee of the leg that was resting on the ground. Do this very slowly and sliding backwards.
- Hold this position for a second and then begin to climb. The back should be straight.
- Do not go all the way up, that is, the knee is partially bent.
- Perform this exercise for five sets of 15 repetitions. As you master the exercise you can increase the number of repetitions.
- Switch legs and repeat all the steps mentioned above.
Single leg squats
This exercise for buttocks and legs allows you to increase their muscle mass, to strengthen and harden them. Next, we will mention the steps you must do to perform one-leg squats correctly:
- Sit on a bench or chair with your sword completely straight.
- Take your hands to keep your balance and lift one of your legs, which is slightly off the ground.
- Using force on the leg that has been resting on the floor and the gluteal muscles, get up from the bench in such a way that the supporting leg is as extended as possible.
- Sit back down without resting your leg in the air on the ground.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 about 15 times quickly or at your own pace as you get used to it.
- Rest for about 30 seconds.
- Now switch legs and repeat the previous exercise.
If you have enough practice, you can do it without a chair and try to get as low as possible while maintaining balance, as in the image. To finish recommending buttock exercises for men.