Outfit is an English word that means clothing, clothing or set. The term has become popular thanks to social media like Instagram and Twitter, where it is used to comment on the way someone dresses, especially celebrities and influencers.
As such, outfit is an English word that works as a noun, and that can be used to refer to a person’s clothing or set of outfits.
Examples of this use would be:
- ” She is wearing a very casual outfit ” (she wears a very casual outfit ).
- ” Why is he wearing that outfit ?” (Why did he dress that way?).
Outfit in fashion
The images of outfits arranged piece by piece are very popular on social networks.
In the world of fashion, outfit is used to refer to the set of clothes and accessories (garments, accessories, etc.) specially conceived for certain social occasions.
An outfit , in this sense, is configured by combining a series of seasonal outfits according to each situation, time and place. Hence, we can talk about outfits for different occasions in modern life, and seasons, both for men and women.
Examples of outfits
Some of the occasions in which a specific outfit is usually created would be:
Despite the widespread use of the term outfit, institutions such as the Foundation for Urgent Spanish (Fundéu) recommend not to use it, since there are multiple variants in the Spanish language that can replace the indiscriminate use of this foreign language, such as clothing, ensemble or styling.
- Formal parties and galas: it is usually customary to wear a long dress or formal suit.
- Weddings: in this case, the outfit depends so much on the season of the year, the place (whether it is outdoors or not), etc.
- Business dinners: generally the styling is semi formal.
- Work: If a uniform is not required, the selection of pieces will depend on the type of work and the dress code of the place.
- Beach days: outfits are usually made of light fabrics and vibrant colors.
- Job interviews: depending on the company and the position to occupy, the outfit can be semi-formal or formal.
- Climatic seasons: for the spring-summer season, cheerful color palettes and loose pieces are styled, while in the autumn-winter season the tones tend to be darker and the textiles much warmer and heavier.