There are easier, more effective, ways to look like a million bucks than by plunking down that much on some surgical solution — the way some Hollywood pretty-boy wannabe would.
And just your luck: all involve treating your body better. It’s true, a healthier lifestyle can actually boost your physical appearance — targeting everything from your complexion, to those bags under your eyes, to the sheen of your hair. There is more to looking handsome than just having good looks and a dashing smile that would make even Prince Charming envious. Having the right attitude and personality is also just as important. After all, the way you act can affect how others perceive you. This wikiHow will show you not only how to look handsome, but also how to act the part as well.
Establish a sense of style. Your clothes and how you wear them say a lot about you, and will have an effect on how people perceive you. Wearing unflattering or extremely poorly-sized clothing says you don’t care about how you present yourself.
- The particular style is not as much a factor as how you wear it. You can wear whatever style is comfortable for you, whether it be trendy, alternative, casual or sporty, as long as it’s appropriate to who you are. For example, if you’re 30, and dress like you’re 15, you’ll look like you’re trying to recapture your youth, not like you’re a trendy 15-year-old. The same is true for any style—if it doesn’t accurately reflect who you are, it will be seen as either clueless or fake. Neither impression will suggest “handsome” to anybody.
Keep an eye out for men you consider well dressed. When you’re at a mall or walking down the street, take note of guys who appear to be fashionable. What things do you first notice?
- Women often look at shoes—a detail many guys gloss over. Because so many guys gloss over that part, taking the time to select, wear, and maintain a nice pair of shoes is a great way to boost how you’re perceived.
Hire a personal shopper. If you have absolutely no fashion sense and have the money, hiring a personal shopper can be a good initial step. They will help you identify your style, select clothes for you and then show you where to obtain these clothes on your own in the future.
- If you don’t have the money, have a stylish friend or relative go shopping with you for the day.
- Listen to them, but be aware that they may have their own style sense that’s not quite your style sense. If most of the choices they’re suggesting don’t appeal to you, don’t feel like you have to go with their suggestions. Thank them for their time, and try another personal shopper more attuned to your sense of style.
Adopt signature pieces. Having a signature item of clothing can help you stand out and draw attention to your style. Take Steve Jobs, for example. His signature look was a black turtleneck, blue jeans, and New Balance running shoes.
- Jewelry, such as a trademark ring, necklace, or watch can be effective, and useful too.
- Tinted shades. You should only wear these outdoors, but a good pair of aviators or tinted shades draws attention to your face.
- Cologne. Avoid run-of-the-mill cologne and get a scent that no one else has. This can be a great conversation starter. Don’t wear too much, though, or the conversation it starts will be behind your back, and it won’t be complimentary.
Exhibiting Attitude and Personality
Be confident. Nothing—not bone structure, not a haircut, not even sensible shoes—will do more for how you are perceived than exuding a sense of self-confidence. Cultivate it, work to achieve it, and follow the steps in this section to build it. Just be aware that it can’t be faked—it has to come from the inside.
Stand up straight
Hunching over can not only cause back problems but makes you look as if you have no self-confidence. Sit up straight too, for the same reasons.
Smiling will make you appear happy. confident, and outgoing. It will also keep you from looking tired and in despair.
Look people in the eye
It’s only polite when talking to someone to look them in the eye. Don’t stare—look at different parts of their face occasionally, but beyond that, maintaining good eye contact will show confidence and self-assuredness on your end.